Monday 30 June 2014

My Picture Dictionary


There is nothing my little kinders love more than drawing. I swear I could leave them all day with just pencils, textas, crayons and paper, and they would be happy to draw all day long. So as I sat there* watching them drawing one afternoon I thought to myself why don't I take something they love so much and make it educational and help prepare them for pre-primary and beyond. That is how the 'My Picture Dictionary' set came about.




This is a big picture post so it continues after the jump.



This massive set, 112 pages in all, has everything you need to help introduce dictionaries to your young learners. The set includes a classroom dictionary for you to print and place in your library where students can have easy access to it. Two options for individual student picture dictionaries (one in colour and one in black and white) for your students to add their own pictures to. 26 mini alphabet readers, one for each letter, and 156 alphabet cards, which can be used for a variety of activities.




The Classroom Picture Dictionary has 27 full colour pages for you to print, laminate and bind to create your own class dictionary. You could even print them at half size and make an entire class set of dictionaries if needed. Each page shows the letter in both upper and lower case, and includes 6-7 colour images with words. Please note X only contains two images, and Y only contains four.

Sorting by starting letter
Drawing images into dictionaries

There are 156 alphabet cards with all the images from the classroom dictionary on them. There are many ways these can be used from flash cards to sorting cards. I particularly like the use of them for 'draw the room' as a literacy station where children have to hunt for the cards around the room and draw the images in their dictionaries (just think 26 literacy centres sorted). In addition to this the cards could be sorted by their beginning letter and students could then draw the images in their dictionaries. 





Sorry about my obese zebra.


I have included two versions of the student dictionaries in this pack. One is in colour and the other in black and white. Each page contains the upper and lower case representation of the letter, as well as one images and the word for the image. 





The pack also contains 26 mini readers for emergent readers to colour. The predictable text of the readers allows children to easily read their books. By the end of the course each child will have a small library of 26 alphabet books. 




If you would like to purchase this unit it is currently $3.00 in my Teachers Pay Teachers store, however it will go up in price to $5 on the 7th of July so be quick to grab the discount. To find this item please click here.


Keep it cute


Stacey

* Please note I do not sit down and watch my kinders all afternoon. However sat there sounds much more poetic than 'as I diffused a crying child in one corner of the room, and made sure blocks weren't being thrown across the other side of the room'. 

No comments:

Post a Comment